Ukraine Live Day 530: Intensity of Fighting in Ukraine Lessens But Shelling Continues

August 1, 2015
A soldier walks by a damaged home. August 1, 2015. Photo by Reuters.

Yesterday’s live coverage of the Ukraine conflict can be found here. An archive of our liveblogs can be found here. For an overview and analysis of this developing story see our latest podcast.

Please help The Interpreter to continue providing this valuable information service by making a donation towards our costs.

For links to individual updates click on the timestamps.

For the latest summary of evidence surrounding the shooting down of flight MH17 see our separate article: Evidence Review: Who Shot Down MH17?

Intensity of Fighting in Ukraine Lessens But Shelling Continues

The intensity of the fighting in southeastern Ukraine was less today, reported, following a step-up yesterday, July 31, as we reported.

Yet Russian-backed fighters continued to shell Ukrainian positions and civilian areas, the ATO (Anti-Terrorist Operation) press center reported (translation by The Interpreter):

From 1:00 to 3:00 a.m., Russian mercenaries pounded the town of Opytnoye with 122-milimiter artillery, a tank, 120-mm mortar-launchers, and firearms. At 3:35, the aggressors shelled Pervomayskoye with 152-mm artillery, and at 3:40 Vodyanoye was hit with 122-mm artilery. From about 12:00 to 14:00, the militants fired grenade-launchers and firearms at Ukrainian positions at Peski and Opytnoye.

At about 2:00, Marinka fell under attack with mortar-launchers, and the mercenaries pounded the village of Maksimilyanovka as well.

In total, there were more than 40 ceasefire violations from the Russian-backed separatists from midnight to 18:00, said the ATO.

Meanwhile, Novorossiya, the press of the pro-Russian separatists, said Ukrainian forces shelled the area around Gorlovka, including Nikitovka, Kurganka, Zaytsevo, Golma and north-west parts of Gorlovka itself. The shelling was said to force residents into shelters, as there was reportedly shelling with mortar launchers and tanks from Mayorsk, striking two residential homes. There were no reports of casualties.

— Catherine A. Fitzpatrick