Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov stated today that the “humanitarian pause” which took place last week in Aleppo is over and another one is not planned any time soon.
His characterization of last week’s lack of Russian airstrikes may not be accurate, however, since Russia only formally agreed to halt bombing for 8 hours on Thursday — not long enough to evacuate the city — and as a result of the uncertainty very few people left the city, and no aid convoys entered to provide relief.
As we explained last week, Russia’s ceasefire was inadequate, and just as was predicted it has ended without any meaningful relief for the people of Aleppo.
Wreckage Confirms Russian Incendiary Cluster Bombs Used Near Homs Town Of Rastan
The Conflict Intelligence Team analyzed video and photos from the scene of the attack confirming that Russian RBK-500 ZAB-2.5SM bombs were used.
Washington Post reports that the ceasefire was not just broken, but shattered by fresh airstrikes:
Warplanes — either operated by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government or by Russia, an ally — targeted the opposition neighborhoods of eastern Aleppo on Saturday evening, residents and rebels said. And, they said, pro-government fighters resumed shelling and ground attacks on rebel positions overnight Saturday that continued until Sunday afternoon.
“The attacks have started again, and they are so crazy, so intense,” said Zakaria Malahifji, a member of the Fastaqim rebel unit, which is battling in the northern city.
He added that the “rebels are preparing for a large-scale offense to break the siege of Aleppo.”
Cease-fire crumbles in Aleppo as fighting resumes
A burst of fighting in the flash-point Syrian city of Aleppo on Sunday appeared to shatter a unilateral Russian cease-fire, signaling a resumption of the government's offensive to seize rebel-held areas there. Warplanes – either operated by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government or by Russia, an ally – targeted the opposition neighborhoods of eastern Aleppo on Saturday evening, residents and rebels said.
Yesterday, Sunday, October 23, the Local Coordination Committees of Syria (LCC) was able to confirm that 30 people were killed nationwide:
By the end of Sunday, October 23, 2016, LCC has documented the fall of 30 martyrs in Syria, including 2 children, 2 women, and 1 under torture.
15 martyrs were reported in #Aleppo , most of them passed away during the battles with Assad’s forces in Sawarikh Hill and with Daesh in the northern countryside, in addition to the shelling with missile launchers on #Marja neighborhood in the city.
7 in #Idlib , most of them passed away in the airstrikes on Maarat Noaman city.
4 in #Hama .
1 in #Homs .
1 in #Damascus_Suburbs .
1 in #Daraa .
1 in #Deir_Ezzour .
The LCC has strict verification methods, so on any given day the death toll is likely higher. For more on the LCC, its methods, and its casualty reports, read here.
— James Miller